Monday, May 25, 2009

Reason For This blog

Hey to anyone reading this blog!

This is actually my first time ever writing a blog, but I am excited to see how it goes. The reason why I am keeping a blog is because I was given a grant, by an alum of Grinnell College, to go to Rwanda and work with orphans for two months this summer. I will be helping teach English, French and basic computer skills as well as serve as a mentor. I will be working at the Urunkdo Home for Children. If you are interested about the village you can click here to learn more.

The reason why this is so significant for me is because this experience is something that I can relate to. I was an an orphan after the Tutsi genocide in Burundi and I spent a while at an orphanage. Naturally, it was not a pleasant experience, it was overcrowded, understaffed, and despite only being five years old at the time, I was given many responsibilities because I was one of the oldest children living there. I remember cleaning the children, washing all the clothes, and helping keep the orphanage clean. But I also remember this one lady, one that I hated with all my little heart, who used to make me do her chores all the time, and who would punish me if I complained or tried to tell anyone (her name was Elizabeth).

Regardless, I am beyond ecstatic at the thought of going back to Africa. I also forgot to mention that I have three brothers and three sisters still living in Burundi that I have not seen in ten years! My oldest brother also just got two baby girls, so I am an untie!! I can't wait to see them. I don't really know what to expect, but the idea of being reunited with my family brings tears to my eyes.

I don't think that the alum who gave me this money realizes how much they are going to change my life. This alum is not only helping me make a small change in some orphans' lives, he is reuniting a family, and that is just amazing. [Alum, if you are reading this blog, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!]

I just got really emotional thinking about seeing my family again, so I am going to log off and go cry happy tears.

Until the next time,

Nadine

6 comments:

  1. This is a great start, I can't wait to keep reading about your wonderful summer experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mother of a Grinnell student, Jake Sapir, I am so proud of the great school he picked, but more importantly I am so proud of you! Keep blogging and we will keep reading and learning!

    Joyce Sapir

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nadine! I just got the email for your link and want to wish you the best...I am (as always) in awe of you and so very proud of you.

    Keep up the good work!

    Professor Bensonsmith

    ReplyDelete
  4. ma ptite soeur chérie de l'amour que j'aime et que j'adore.je viens de lire tout ce que tu as ecris!!!!J'ai commencé a 7h30 du mat,en buvant mon café ....tu m'a trop ému,et je m'ecrase plusieures larmes,bientot les gros sanglots.....Tu me manques,je t'aime ma Nadine!i wish i could hug you right now! delf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story. My husband and I have adopted 13 children, 4 of them Liberian and we foresee them someday making the same trip you are. We can only imagine the flood of emotions that will overwhelm them and continuously prepare them for that even now at their young ages. We are very excited for them. Our 10 yr old daughter is eager to become a doctor and go back to Liberia and help them. I see that as a big possibility. Our Liberian children have beautiful hearts.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am taking a trip to Liberia this summer to help in a miriad of ways. I am excited and nervous. It will be my first trip overseas.

    ReplyDelete